Sambar – Queen of South Indian Cuisine (Budwig friendly recipe)
Sambar is a traditional recipe of south India. Any south Indian breakfast like hot steamed rice, Idli, Dosa, Pongal, Vada is incomplete without the delicious sambar. It is a blend of all tastes like Spicy, tangy, and salt in it, It’s quite easy to make and you can add any vegetables of your choice. It adds all the nutrients to our daily diet. The main ingredient for making sambar is Sambar powder. Homemade sambar powder tastes the best. I am sharing its recipe. You may buy it on amazon.
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 Dry red Chilies
- Few Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 10-12 Shallots
- 1 Cup split Pigeon peas or Arhar Dal
- 2 Tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- Tamarind juice (lemon size tamarind soaked in water)
- Vegetables (Carrots, Capsicum, Pumpkin, Okra, Eggplant, Drumstick, etc.)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Oleolox
- As required Salt
- As required water
- Cilantro leaves for Garnishing
- Pressure cook the split Pigeon peas with some water for 4-5 whistles and cook until the Pigeon peas is fully cooked and turn mushy. Keep this aside.
- In a big pan heat the Oleolox and immediately add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies, curry leaves to temper for less than a minute, and add some water. Then add turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mix it once and then add shallots (Shallots add very good taste to the sambar). Then add the cut vegetables (Carrots, Capsicum, Pumpkin, Okra, Eggplant, Drumstick, etc.) also add 2 chopped tomatoes and give it a mix.
- Add Sambar powder and chili powder, after mixing it add tamarind extract (soak a lemon size of tamarind in water for 10-20 minutes and then extract the juice) and enough water for sambar. Add required salt. Cover and cook until the vegetables are 80% done.
- Once the veggies are 80% done add the cooked split Pigeon peas to get a balanced taste, mix it well. Again cover the lid and simmer for 10 more minutes on medium heat.
- Once all the veggies are fully cooked, add some chopped cilantro leaves to get an awesome flavor mix it again, and turn off the heat.
- Our Delicious South Indian style Sambar is ready to be Served. You can enjoy this as a side for any breakfast recipe or with Rice.